17 February 2010

Goodbye, Chocolate





Today is Ash Wednesday.

Should you need a reminder, you may see a few people with dirty foreheads as you are out and about. No, we're not behind in our hygiene; it's the ashes we get from the priest to remind us from where we've come and where we're going.

Some Catholics give something up during the 46 days of Lent. Before I became Catholic, I thought the whole ordeal ridiculous.

Now I get it.

Lent is a time of both self-denial and self-examination. Sometimes, people take stock of their lives and try to improve. I know, it's easy to say we should do that 365 days a year, and of course we should. But there's something to be said about setting aside a period of time for a personal report card.

For me, I ask how I can be a better mother. Wife. Daughter. Friend. And when I really think about it, I soon discover that I fall far short in every category. Lent becomes a time to gather myself and make positive changes.

To help prompt me this Lenten season, I'm going to give up sweets. You should know that I have a nasty addiction to chocolate, cookies and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Everyday I will miss the quiet moments with my Hershey bar and cup of coffee. But I will instead try to think about how I can do a little bit better. Maybe read an extra book to Anthony. Or complain less about the dishes in the sink.

What have I got to lose?

One of my favorite priests always tried to quit smoking during Lent. Sadly, he never quite got there. But rather than gloat at his failure, I always felt inspired. After all, he represented our human condition. We try. We fail. We dust ourselves off. Then we try again.

Goodbye, chocolate. I will miss you.

4 comments:

Tami said...

I love your blog. I especially liked this. In getting ready to go on tour with our school to Washington, DC, I bought an even bigger than usual purse. My reasoning was I could fit all my things plus my fanny pack. Then I could pull out the fanny pack when when leave the bus to see the sights. I will really look like a tourist. Of course, I will also be wearing my Stockdale for Congress button in our nation's capital--just so they know he is on his way there!

Jennifer Stockdale said...

Thanks! Do you think Harry Reid would like a button, too? -- jennifer

Angela said...

Lent: Such a great time for hope and change... lol

Angela said...

... continued
hope for Christ and His Resurrection

change in ourselves