26 January 2010

About That Boy Scout Motto














The other day, I learned the importance of being prepared. Of course, if you are a mother, this is a lesson you must learn over and over again. It doesn’t really matter how many children you have or how many mini-crises you survive, there’s always another chapter to be written.

And so it was last weekend.

Always rushing to get out of the house, we piled the family into the car, wiping noses and combing hair while enroute to a Freedom Rally. The kids love those street-corner displays of patriotism, and I do, too. They wave their flags earnestly from the sidewalk and clap excitedly when a motorist honks in affirmation.

For me, it’s a chance to meet new people and talk about what’s on their mind. Sometimes, as you can see from the photo, I even get to have my picture taken on a Harley-Davidson.

Ever mindful that I am the candidate’s wife, I dress carefully. First impressions are important, and heaven forbid I should look like a wild-eyed, frazzled mother.

I thought I looked pretty good, until halfway through the rally I looked at my shoes. I had my favorite walking boots on. I love those boots so much that I bought two pair, brown and black.

You probably know where this is going.

Sure enough, the black boot was on my right foot and the brown on my left. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it!

Once, when we were at a dear friend’s wedding, I wore a shimmery bronze dress with a short bolero jacket. Just before the reception, while catching up with out-of-town friends, Emma tried to signal me. I paid absolutely no attention. Then Kathryn gave me the “death stare” and pointed at the front seam of my dress. Sure enough, there was a 24-inch rip right down the middle. (So much for dieting.)

I learned from that to never leave home without safety pins and a sewing kit. Now, I can see I’m going to have to make sure there’s always a pair of matching shoes in the trunk as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you :) check out that emo boy one at this blog:
http://emo--boys.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

I am enjoying your blog so much. You have such an optimistic spirit, it's just delightful!