18 January 2010

Lessons From the Run













I'm a runner. Actually, that's overstating it. Given my speed, I'm probably more of a jogger.

But whichever, I do so faithfully, covering familiar neighborhood streets and sometimes venturing into new territory.

Although I'm new to this campaign life, I think there's some parallels between the sport of running and seeking political office.

In no important order, here's the lessons I've learned so far:

--Put one foot in front of the other. You can't leap to the finish line without taking one step after another. It's okay, perhaps vital, to visualize the end of the race, but you get there incrementally.

--Pace is important. Bursting out of the starting gate like gang-busters may give you an early lead, but the fizzle comes pretty quickly. This is a long haul. The primaries aren't until June; the election in November. What's done now is just the beginning.

--Smell the lavender. There's a certain corner along my path where dozens of violet-tipped lavender bushes grow. I never fail to inhale the aroma. It's a comfort and makes the run enjoyable. (It's also why I don't do treadmills.) I intend to embrace those moments during the campaign that both touch and bless me.

--Remember the purpose. I run because it's healthy and it keeps my weight under control. We're running for Congress because it's time to take America back.

--Never give up. I'm a fighter. When my stomach cramps, I keep running. When it's below freezing, I run. If I have to get up after just a few hours sleep, I still run. Campaigning is like that, too. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and think we're crazy. But then, I'm not a quitter. I think that's probably worse than being crazy.

And so, crazy or not, I'm determined to stay with it.

Won't you run along with me?


0 comments: