11 January 2010

Godspeed, Ma Fille-fille


My daughter, Emma, has returned to college.

After taking the last 6 months to ponder her future, she made the command decision to go back to Franciscan University, where she is a communications major. She flew back yesterday to start classes today.

Parting is bittersweet. I am happy that she is returning to an environment that is rich spiritually, stimulating intellectually and teeming with good friends.

But we will miss her. While home, she devoted herself to teaching James to read. Worked tirelessly on Dave's campaign. She cooked. Cleaned. Learned to play the guitar. Served as jill-of-all-trades for her friend’s wedding. And laughed a lot.

Did I mention Franciscan is in Ohio? When I last peeked, the temperature was 3-degrees. The first text message I received from her was in picture form. It was all white. (I’m pretty sure that was snow.)

There’s a little hole in my heart. Mothers the world over understand it, I’m sure: the universe just isn’t aligned until everyone is home, safe, once again.

Be safe, sweetie. We love you.

0 comments: