14 January 2010

Anthony's Campaign Contributions

The other morning was typical.

Anthony, 5, really has no concept that his father is running for U.S. Congress. And frankly, he really doesn't care.

What does Anthony care about?

Right now, I'd say he just loves trouble.

Here's a snippet of our day that probably lasted no longer than 10 minutes, although the cleanup took considerably longer.

While I was busy cooking eggs for breakfast, Anthony grabbed a black permanent marker and scribbled all over the family room coffee table. "No, no," I cried, grabbing the pen and dashing over with Windex and paper towels in a vain attempt to wipe up. Just after I finished removing some (but not all) of the marker, I realized that Anthony was scribbling all over the kitchen wall with dark crayon. (It was, after all, just below the whiteboard where we keep our daily agenda posted.) So I quickly took the crayon away, got a wad of paper towels and tried -- this time completely in vain -- to remove the crayon jottings from the wall.

Had enough?

Not Anthony. While I worked to get the crayon off, the little guy had stealthily opened a case of 8-oz. water bottles, carried them upstairs and began launching them over the railing, where they burst like tiny bombs all over the hallway. By the time I reached the top of the steps, he had sent at least a half-dozen water chubs over and was giggling hysterically.

It didn't take me long to shake my head and join the laughter; walls can be painted and floors can be wiped clean. And, after all, he hadn't eaten the crayons or done any damage that couldn't be repaired.

It's important to keep a sense of humor, don't you think?

1 comments:

Larissa said...

I love this post! Anthony cracks me up - and yes, your sense of humor is important. ;) Keep it up, Mrs. Stockdale!! Your blog is an enjoyable read.