08 January 2010

Epiphany


"They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh." Matthew 2:10-11

My epiphany treasures are my two youngest sons. The elder, James, was born 12 years ago on Epiphany Sunday. We had no idea he had Down Syndrome.

I read once it was a little like getting on a plane to France and finding out you've landed in Holland. How true. There's no Eiffel Tower. No crepes. Not a glimpse of Notre Dame. But instead, there are tulips and windmills and water everywhere. Different, yes. But every bit as beautiful.

Six years after James was born, we adopted Anthony, who also has Down Syndrome. I often feel like I won the lottery. Twice.

Epiphany is special to me. James and Anthony may be mentally retarded, but they often have the wisdom of kings. And always they lead me closer to the "child with Mary his mother."

0 comments: